Dr. Suess

"And will you succeed? Yes indeed! Yes indeed! Ninety Eight and Three Quarters guarenteed!"


Friday, February 04, 2005

Business

Pearls and Dreams

I did everything in PT yesterday that I had done on Wednesday, plus one exercise where I was doing squat like things on a slanted board that slides up and down. I think the PT called it an all gym. I easily did 20 of them. The 20 squats were much harder yesterday than they'd been on Wednesday. I completed the 50 contractions, but the HIGHEST I was able to get to was 55 ... my muscles were definitely paying a price for the success of the previous days adventures.

And soreness ... LOL ...um ... Yea ... wasn't sure what had made me sore till I got on the recumbant bike and went ooooooooooohhhhhhh wow!

BUT ..the point is ... I did it ... and I did it again ..even though it was slower and not as intense. 6 years ago, when I walked into physical therapy for the first time, I could not walk up and down stairs correctly, I had to take them one step at a time like a 2 year old would. Always leading with my left foot. Leading with my right was a sure fire way to land on my butt.
I could not go up more than 4 or 5 without stopping to rest or my legs would collapse.
I would NEVER have been able to do a squat. Not in my wildest dreams. And 50 of anything involving muscles was a dream a myasthenic just can't dare to dream.

So, how much is the Cellcept & Mestinon ... how much is the previous physical therapy that taught me how to safely get some exercise in without compromising my breathing muscles ... I don't know. My guess, it's a combination of both.

But from someone who exercised in her pre illness life as an obsessive exerciser (exercisor?) ..this feels really good. No, I don't want to be obsessive about it ... don't want to go down THAT road again. But I would like to be able to have a healthy amount of exercise!

Today ..should prove to be interesting ... I have to take my mom to a doctor's appointment at 10, she still isn't driving, because we still don't know if she had a TIA a couple weeks ago or not. Don (dh) is having an endescope at 10. He thinks he's driving himself. Yea, right. Obviously, that's not happening. He did say to get him up at 9, and he knew that I had to leave at 9:20 to take both him and mom ...so maybe he got his head out of his rear ...
Anyway ...drop mom off at one hospital ... take Don to another, get him checked in ... go back, pick up mom, drop her off, go get Don, take him home ..go to Physical therapy. Come home, feed kids ...go to small group by 6 pm.

This should prove to be a tremendously long day ...
How I physically survive it after the week I've had ...a week of tremendously long days, and 3 days in a row of physical therapy ... should be very very interesting. Days like today make me wonder if my neurologist doesn't really have a point ... am I truely too busy? Am I going to crash and burn ... and who pays the price when I do?
I don't have time to crash and burn this month ...
hmmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment