Dr. Suess

"And will you succeed? Yes indeed! Yes indeed! Ninety Eight and Three Quarters guarenteed!"


Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Quirks

I like to cook. My son loves my cooking. I don't follow recipe's well .. at least according to my son. He will fight me if he thinks I'm following a recipe.

His favorite meal is when he comes into the house and finds me cooking and says "what's for dinner?" and I answer "I have no idea"

Tonight, I wanted to try something I'd never tried before. Samuel's favorite veggie is spinach. The problem is, Benjamin and I can barely tolerate spinach. We can, but barely. Now, I love spinach dip. Benjamin loves raw spinach ..so I figured, there has to be a way that I can make it that we will all love it. Sitting in a doctor's office waiting room, I saw a magazine article with lots of recipe's. In the recipe's was a recipe's was spinach casserole.

Now, I'd made spinach souffle as a teenager, but that was a main dish ... and no way would I attempt that without an exact recipe ... with Samuel's approval or not!
But ... I thought the casserole sounded good ... but I lost the recipe.

So, tonight ...making his second favorite meal. Baked chicken with Sundried Tomato Salad Dressing on it ... I decided to make the spinach casserole with it.
But, I decided that the first time I make the spinach casserole, I should probably follow a recipe ... then I can 'make it my own' after I've tried it once.

Well, I think I more than likely have all the ingredients ... so all I buy is the frozen spinach ...

I get home ...
I tell Samuel I'm going to follow a recipe, he begs me not to. I pull up a recipe and go to the pantry
I have cream of celery soup, not cream of chicken.
I have mozerella cheese, not cheddar.
I have cornbread dressing, not regular bread dressing.

I now have put my sons mind at ease ...because it is no longer the recipe ... but my own take on the recipe :) such a nut!

I also decided to add onion and garlic powder.

I don't think, I could follow a recipe ... if you forced me!
Somehow, I think, even if I had the ingredients ... I'd still be fudging and finding some way to make it mine.
I just don't cook by following directions.

Which, is probably why I can't bake cookies or make bread, or bake anything.

At least my family loves my cooking ... the biggest problem with it is ... they rarely get the stuff they really like ...more than once in their life, because nothing is ever the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment