Dr. Suess

"And will you succeed? Yes indeed! Yes indeed! Ninety Eight and Three Quarters guarenteed!"


Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Tomorrow's Date Here

Dear Bomber's ... a year ago, I finally wrote my friend a letter. You took my friend from me. In a careless act, to tell the government that you didn't like what they did, you decided that your statement was more important than the lives of my friend and those who loved her. Than my friend and her son and her future grandchildren.
My bitterness toward you, has been unmistakable, you could ask anyone who knew me while you were on trial ... my thoughts on how the death penalty should be carried out were rather creative. You took something more precious to me than your idea's ... you took love. Your idea's could have been stated another way ... love cannot be expressed from the grave.
However, it's now been 11 years. One of you has been put to death, and I'm not even going to talk about the rest involved or thought to be involved. But it's time for me to let go ...to say ... you're forgiven. Not because I think what you did was something so forgiveable, but because it's time to let the pain go ... it's time for me to treasure my friend for who she was and what she truly meant to me and I don't think if I continue to hate you for ripping her from my soul I can do that. So, it is up to God to deal with you from now on. You, as far as I am concerned are forgiven.
I have forgiven others who have wounded me who've done evil and looked me in the eye ..who've meant to harm Peggikaye ... so I can forgive you who meant to harm my government.
I'm sorry the hate in you overwhelmed you to the point that you didn't know what to do and couldn't see the love that others share. I wish that you'd had just one Trudy in your life. If you'd had the privilege of having even one Trudy in your life, you'd never have had to do this.
I forgive you, I really do. When I started this letter, I knew what I wanted to say, and I couldn't imagine saying it. I couldn't imagine letting go of the anger and ire ... but now ... I feel only sorrow for you ... as I typed that last paragraph ... my heart feels nothing but mercy for you, as suddenly I've understood what I've never understood ... I'm sorry and I forgive you.
Dear Readers, I wrote Trudy this letter a year ago ...and it still rings so true today, I just couldn't re write it.
Dear Trudy, I have needed to write you this letter for a long time, technically, it probably would have been better to wait till tomorrow, but it's still to painful. Today is the day. I remember the day I moved her to Tulsa. I was 17, and we'd just gotten into town. My sister worked at the church we'd be attending, and we just went straight to the church since it was Wednesday. December 30, 1981. You were there early for service to help the youth pastor and his secretary (my sister). You were 18. My sister introduced us and you hung around with me all afternoon. That evening, we sat together, after church, you introduced me to Eric W. and asked him if I could join 'Proclamation'. I had no clue what you were talking about. Eric asked me if I liked to sing and I said yes. So, he said, "We're a choir, join us Monday nights at 7 pm" New Years Eve, I went with you to the youth group New Years Eve party. Friday, you called me and we talked forever on the phone. Sunday we went to Ken's Pizza together after church. Monday night, we went to Proclamation practice together. My life changed forever. You, Trudy, accepted me, right from the start. No questioning who I was or what I was. Just open, honest and friendly. You were a year older than me, already out of high school, and I was just a Junior. It didn't matter to you ... social class ... age ...didn't matter. We'd become friends and fast friends.We sang together, we hung out together, we laughed together, cried together, prayed together and just sat together. The day I was afraid that my mom might have killed herself, you went with me to check the house, you went in first, so that if she had, I would not have found both my mom and my dad. Why neither of us thought to call the police? I have no idea. Thank God she was just asleep! (Did I ever tell you that she'd sprained her ankle and had taken some pain killers? that's why she didn't hear the phone ringing! Although, this last February, she did tell me, that she HAD been suicidal at the time). You dropped out of Proclamation, but our friendship didn't drop. You became pregnant with John Michael. I remember so many of our friends that just seemed to reject you. How awful that must have been for you. I still, to this day, don't understand that. I remember being very honored that you allowed me to share your pregnancy with you ... I learned about morning sickness and what it was like for a 19 year old who was brave enough to stand up for what she saw was right. Do you ever think about those 2 months I lived with you during the week? Me so I 'd be closer to my school, and for you to not be alone while you were going through such a miserable stage of pregnancy?You were one of the few people who had the nerve to corner me on the eating disorder. I don't know what you'd have done if the resources available today were there back then. I'll never forget the fury in your eyes when you caught me purging in your bathroom. The fury that turned to fear as you raged at me, then begged and pleaded with me to stop ... to stop and heal and to see myself better. To look at myself. Do you remember taking my face and making me look in the mirror? I don't know that I've ever had someone so lovingly mad at me ... I still hurt when I think of that moment. How much that must have hurt you. I'll never forget seeing John Michael when he was little. Those eyes would just enchant me. Can you remember our talks outside of the singles group? With everyone inside chatting away, you and I standing outside, still on the edge of things, John Michael going back and forth between us. High School was behind me, Proclamation behind both of us. I had no idea what to do. You didn't like Don when you met him either. I didn't learn very well did I? I'm sorry we lost contact. I think the last time we talked was when I called to tell you Samuel was born. I was supposed to call you again, but Samuel got so sick, then I was sick ...and my life spun out of control. Then April 19,1995, 9:02 A.M. Timothy McVeigh took the option of us ever re uniting as friends away. The friday after the bombing, CBS announced the first few names of the victims who'd been identified. I had a baby gate up between my kitchen & living room. As they were announcing the names, I was stepping over the gate, and I heard "Trudy Rigney" Immediately, I fell and started screaming. Evidently, I went into hysterics, my husband could not calm me down to find out why I was screaming. It took calling my mom, and mom, and him 5 full minutes to get "Trudy Rigney died" out of my mouth. It took 3 years for my son, who was then 3, to stop saying "Oka-homa City Bombing mamma, you can cry now" everytime the news would show the picture of the blown out Murrah Building. Oh Trudy ... I have so often wondered ... did you know? Oh how I hope you don't know it happened. How I've prayed that you were just working one minute and in the arms of God the next. The idea, that you'd had to hurt and suffer for a while just breaks my heart. It's been 10 years since you were so violently yanked from my life forever ... but my memories of you will forever be in my heart. You were my first friend in Oklahoma. You were a true friend who loved me enough to take a firm stand. I went to the Memorial a few years ago, I stood there and looked at the clear chair that represents who you are and all I could think of was "I'd rather have her here" I Love you Trudy Rigney. I always will. I miss you. Love Peggikaye
It's now been 11 years and I wish you could see me today Trudy ... my marriage is happy ... Don has decided that God really does have to be first ... and things are going good ... I miss you ... I've heard recently that Jonmichael is married, with kids, and getting baptized soon. I miss you girl!

7 comments:

  1. she would have been as proud of you as you are of her. That is a true proclomation that real friendship reaches far beyond life. Thankyou for sharing trudy with us, life does go on and through our writing and memories, that you have shared so well :)
    (((((hugs also))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way you can get to our blog now

    ReplyDelete
  3. a day I will never forget as well, I am sorry you lost your friend. Beautifully written.........a great fiendship never dies, you are living proof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just a date to most of us. Thank you for the intimacy of these letters.

    Maybe you can forgive, but none of us should ever forget.

    Prayers and hugs, Pearlie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.
    This was a powerful read.

    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pk ... you've been through so much. God love your heart. I wish I had words which could heal where you are, but all I can is tell you that I love you, and I'm sorry you've seen such horrible things.

    Thank you, dear Heart, for having the courage to share.

    ReplyDelete