Dr. Suess

"And will you succeed? Yes indeed! Yes indeed! Ninety Eight and Three Quarters guarenteed!"


Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Single Statement ... Out of Context

He said it to me, rather emphatically, pleading with me. It was imperitive that I hear him.

In context he meant one thing. He didn't know, and still does not know, that it would have far reaching impact into every corner of my existance.

In context, I was in physical therapy, it was 7 years ago. I'd been in physical therapy for about 2 months. My muscles were in a severely weekend, and there were days I could not brush my hair. The problem was, my back was in really bad condition ... and my posture was suffering ... and the muscles that were supporting my back were just slacking off.

They'd only been effected by the MG in a minor way, MG effects the arms and legs far more than the torso muscles.

What caused my slouch ... fatigue. Pure fatigue.

There was no real muscle weakness ... but the fatigue and lack of making myself sit properly ... was causing serious damage to my back and shoulders ...hips ..knees ... and well ... it just continues down the whole body.

So, my PT in one desperate passionate comment said to me "Change the way you live on this planet"

It struck me rather importantly. I knew him well enough by then to know that he was not telling me to do something I could not do. I knew that it was something I had to work on.

He only meant to sit straighter when I could. Stand straighter. Work against the fatigue and don't let the monster destroy me!

But ... the comment sunk into areas of my life where he didn't even imply it to mean ...

relationships ...
spiritual walk
health management

sit straighter ... go deeper ... push against the fatigue ...

when the battle gets hard ...push against the fatigue ...

When the marriage gets weary ... sit up straight and do the hard thing ...

When the parenting gets hard ... sit up harder stand up straighter ...do the right thing ...

Change the way you live on the planet

We've moved into a brand new house. Brand spankin' new. It's amazing how many times the phrase has ran through my mind ... especially in house cleaning.
Things I would have let the boys get away with in the trailer isn't about to happen here.
Something I would have waited to put away till the next time I get up, gets put away now.
Dishes are done when they are used ...not once a day.

The other trailer was old, and falling apart and it was hard to keep up with, partially because it was soooo falling apart it was why bother?

Part of moving was like physical therapy ... and forced the change ... and it enforces the ability to Change the way we live on this planet.

4 comments:

  1. I need to take his statement in a whole different manner. I really need to sit and relax more. I am one of those always on the go and hard at work types. Time flies past me and before I know it I am too tired to enjoy anything out of life. I think I need to assign myself a 'no interruption day' I can actually read, blog, listen to songs, watch a movie I've been meaning to watch and let the dishes wait a few minutes, or even hours. I work about 10 hours a day and then come home to be the wife and mommy. I get absolutely no 'me' time and that has really GOT TO CHANGE. Your post was beautiful and inspirational but I need to take the reverse of your actions.
    Locking myself in the bathroom,
    The Billmaker
    BTW look forward to your book release, you're a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peggikaye...

    Change always seems to bring us to look through the windows of another perspective.

    Glad you are enjoying your "brand spanking new" house!

    ;+ )

    later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how a single comment can stick with us for so long? I wonder how many of us can find such a comment (good or bad) that has affected us to such a degree -- I'll bet most of us can.

    Have fun decorating your house for the holidays!
    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you in your new home. I'm sure there are a lot of changes now with everything brand new!

    ReplyDelete