Dr. Suess

"And will you succeed? Yes indeed! Yes indeed! Ninety Eight and Three Quarters guarenteed!"


Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Brain Drain



When people hear the term "Brain Drain" they usually think of one of two terms ... they either think of economic terms ... Wikipedia's definition is as follows:

Brain drain can occur either when individuals who study abroad and complete their education do not return to their home country, or when individuals educated in their home country emigrate for higher wages or better opportunities. The second form is arguably worse, because it drains more resources from the home country.

This phenomenon is perhaps most problematic for developing nations, where it is widespread. In these countries, higher education and professional certification are often viewed as the surest path to escape from a troubled economy or difficult political situation.


Or ...they think of spending mind numbing hours doing nothing but playing video games or reading trashy romance novels or watching the 'boob tube' that does nothing to build the brain ..thus draining it of any viable intelligence ... no exercise ... intellectual or physical ...nothing gained ... nothing expended ... nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Brain Drain.

I've been thinking of the term Brain Drain lately in a different way ... I've been intentionally looking for ways that I can, in fact, practice 'brain drain'.

*blink*

What? Why? Who would do such a thing? Aren't we as American's working toward NOT being Brain Drains? Being productive ... etc etc ... yea ...but ...

I need rest ... however, when I rest ...and just rest ... I go nuts. Absolutely nuts.

So, then I thought of what I needed to do ...was ACTIVELY REST! (stop staring at me like that Moof and Cathy!!!!!)

Let me explain.

I need to let my body rest and my brain destress. But ...just 'resting' would often cause me more anxiety than the *resting* was doing me good. Now, I know many who read this will actually identify with that concept *cough* (see who I told to stop staring at me!!!)

I started to picture a drain in a sink ... it stops the stuff from going down the drain that you don't want to go down the drain, but allows the water to go down to the sewer. Suddenly I realized ... I needed activities that allow me to BRAIN DRAIN.

I need things that allow the stress, the useless information to be filtered from my brain, while hanging onto the information, and the important stuff ... and sometimes ... sitting up at the computer, or going for coffee with a friend, sitting and doing puzzles, reading a book .. and sometimes sleeping ... is in fact doing the Brain Drain activity ... it just depends on what is needed at the time.

Let the junk go down the drain, zone out .. relax ...and don't worry about the
'supposed to be's' (I'm supposed to be sleeping ... I'm supposed to be folding laundry ... I'm supposed to be writing ... I'm supposed to be laying down ... I'm supposed to be ... I'm supposed to be ...) talk with a friend, IM with a friend, read a blog, write a blog .. write a poem ... do what the brain says comes naturally ...

then, when I am relaxed, the stuff that's left in the drain, can be better sorted out rinsed off ... and put where it belongs.

I do hope this post made some sense .... or maybe it needs to go down the drain! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hi. Hoping you're feeling better now.

    Sorry to read this. Sounds like the sleep deprivation has taken toll on you. Have you taken 'captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ'? Whatever thots come to mind, send these to Jesus one by one and hopefully, you shall get the necessary rest. Don't fight but let go whatever is bothering you. Release these to Jesus. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made a lot of sense to me.

    ReplyDelete