Dr. Suess

"And will you succeed? Yes indeed! Yes indeed! Ninety Eight and Three Quarters guarenteed!"


Friday, October 01, 2010

Breathing Again



So, I get up at 6:30 to go to the Beginning Algebra class my instructor invited me to. I go to the 8 am class, come home and spend the day studying for tonight’s test. The information is dense, the topic is difficult and communication lacking with the professor.
Nothing with the referral has changed and my schedule seems impossible to keep up. Doubts about my physical ability to get through this process were creeping in …
Doubts about my ability to provide what my son needs were starting to overwhelm.
Doubts … doubts … and fear.
I drive to school and I tell God I cannot take yet another stress and have got to have some of the stressors removed.

I’m sitting in the middle of the test about ganglion retinal cells, LGN and parvocellular and it’s functions and a tune pops into my head … la lalala la la la…
A few more questions and the tune persists …
La lalalallalla …
As I look at the essay questions sure I do not know the answer for any of them I started to struggle to breathe …fighting the tears and the words
“you cannot loose my love” to the tune going through my head …
I finish the test, I go out to my car and turn on the CD in the car, the song playing finishes and the next song starts

You will loose your baby teeth, at times you’ll lose your faith in me. You will lose a lot of things, but you cannot loose my love.

I sit there for a few minutes, taking breathes that I’d not breathed in several weeks, if not since the day Benjamin got sick … feeling it go from my nose to my throat ..to my chest and into my abdomen …

I realize that I’d let stress take the place of my faith. I’d let my choices for coping loom as an option …


“you may lose your appetite, your guiding sense of wrong or right”

I’d let what I’d experienced replace what I knew to be true …


“You may lose your will to fight, but you cannot lose my love”


Something happened this time … nothing kicked in my fight mode, I was left feeling worn down, tired and helpless … When there is a fight, I know what to do. I know what steps to take. I know what the enemy is and where it is and how to fight it. But with this … this was just a reminder of all I was not, could not do and how helpless I was.


“you will loose your confidence, in times of trial your common sense”

I was putting all my eggs, all my sons eggs, into one basket, and the responsibility for the protection of those eggs were all on me. They weren’t God’s or my husbands … they were all up to me and I was seeing them flying through the air and being smashed in a gooey mess on the ground.

You may lose your innocence,
But you cannot lose my love.

I cannot lose His love … and the breathe reached my toes. I could feel the peace flooding over me, with each inhale and protection of my God with each exhale …


Many things can be misplaced;
Your very memories be erased.


I’d forgotten, briefly …what I believed. I put my faith for my child in my hands. I forgot that HE is my source of strength, not me.

No matter what the time or space,
You cannot lose my love.
You cannot lose,
You cannot lose,
You cannot lose my love.


One way or another, it will be ok. My son will be ok. I will be ok ..no matter the outcome … we will be ok. Not because I’ve done all the right things or never made a misstep ..but because my faith is in the one who made me … he’s been here with me each and every moment, waiting for the moment I turn to Him and let Him breathe in me.

You Cannot Lose My Love
By Sara Groves

You will lose your baby teeth.
At times, you'll lose your faith in me.
You will lose a lot of things,
But you cannot lose my love.

You may lose your appetite,
Your guiding sense of wrong and right.
You may lose your will to fight,
But you cannot lose my love.

You will lose your confidence.
In times of trial, your common sense.
You may lose your innocence,
But you cannot lose my love.

Many things can be misplaced;
Your very memories be erased.
No matter what the time or space,
You cannot lose my love.
You cannot lose,
You cannot lose,
You cannot lose my love.

so, nothing has changed ... no choice was made easier ... no new solution that was more palatable ... no sudden understanding of concepts that were wrapping me up in fear ... nothing changed except my focus.


3 comments:

  1. I am so glad we can not lose His love. Even when your life is turned upside down. My faith has been so shaken this year,but still HE holds on to me. I don't know why. I hope things calm down for you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took a quiz on that same info, it made my brain feel a little like jello.

    I feel like my life is triage, a steady stream of emergencies, both major and minor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kyla .. most of my classmates are pre med. It's a psych class, but not a PSYCH class ... argh! I was expecting the sensory & perception issues as how they relate to developmental or psychological functioning (as in sensory integration dysfunction) but ...no, alas, it's the biological factors and how the sensory system WORKS ... would love to have had anatomy & phisiology (well, not really, but it would have been nice to have it before this class!!!)

    LGN is going to drive me to the brink of insanity and back again ..and probably right back the the brink again!

    ReplyDelete